Leah Lemelin (She/Her)
Leah Lemelin joined Birthways in 2016 as a labor support and postpartum doula. As a mother of two, Leah has a great appreciation for the care she received on her personal journey in pregnancy and parenting, as well as an awareness of balancing self, family, and work. She aims to bring the same meaningful support to other women and families.
Leah’s background includes a BFA in Visual Art & Leadership Skills from the University of Denver, studies in painting and sculpture at the Art Institute in Florence, Italy, and over 10 years in Sales, Management, and Regional Recruiter positions with Papersource. She also has experience with school-aged children as a Humanities teacher in a charter school. Leah very much enjoyed her past careers, but she is so very excited to be a doula full-time!
Leah is a natural caregiver and is attuned to supporting women in her community. She was involved in a mother’s community as she herself became a new mother and was active in La Leche League. She also incorporates her many years of being an educator and trainer into her work as a doula. Leah knows how to share information in supportive and affirming ways. Her warm, kind presence puts one at ease and her willingness to be of service is coupled with her conscientious nature. She will pay good attention to the needs of all the family members.
Leah has a personal yoga and meditation practice that has been particularly impactful in her childbearing and parenting experiences – talk with her about supporting your own practices! Leah also loves to cook! She enjoys following recipes, as well as cooking simple, clean foods, and is familiar with Ayurveda and seasonal food benefits. Leah also has an interest in language and international travel and is proficient in Spanish and has basic skills in Italian.
In her own words
“I feel a calling to support women and families moving through the transformative prenatal, childbirth, and postpartum journey. My wish is to be of service to another, honoring wherever they are on their journey and whatever choices they make as a parent.”
What Clients Say
“Her biggest strength is her compassion. She is very able to be a witness what someone’s going through something, whether it’s joyful or difficult.
Leah has an extraordinary ability to connect with people!”
“Leah helped my husband care for me, gave me massages, and walked through the experience so we were completely comfortable with the whole process…I’m so happy we decided to use a doula. I fully attribute her support to my VBAC success. She was like a therapist, birth coach, physical therapist, and yoga instructor in one!”
“She provided and held space for me and my husband to move through the experience as we wanted to. She was amazing in helping me to relax from the moment we booked her through the birth of our daughter.”
Training + Education
- WisdomWay Institute First Year Specialist/Postpartum Doula program: Certification July 2019
- McClean Meditation & Mindfulness Teacher Training: Fall 2020
- Creating Space: Pelvic Dynamics, Fetal Positioning and Use of the Rebozo: Brittany Sharpe McCollum May 2020
- Newborn Safety Workshop: 1/17
- Birthways Core Doula Training Program: 11/16
- Birth Arts International Labor Support Doula training: September 2016
- Yoga Immersion 200-hour Teacher Training
- Infant CPR: American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) Expires 9/2022
- Humanities teacher
- Speaks English, Spanish, and some Italian
- Mindfulness and Meditation
- Yoga instructor
- Mother of two
- National criminal background check completed with no adverse information
- Birthways Reference Checks: Completed five references with no adverse information and excellent feedback
- Covid vaccinated