Rhona Moore (she/her)
Rhona joined Birthways in the spring of 2019, bringing over a decade of community-based doula work into her care. Rhona is a Certified Labor Support Doula through DONA and completing training as a Postpartum Doula through WisdomWay Institute. She is also a Massage Therapist. A deep and expansive source of knowledge, skills, and physical tools, Rhona has so much to offer expectant and new parents along their journey.
Prior to joining Birthways, Rhona was a Doula Specialist in the Healthy Families Illinois with Family Focus program, where she participated in ongoing training with Ounce of Prevention. She was also part of a pilot group through the Erickson Institute. She provided childbirth education, nutrition, exercise information, infant parenting skills, and life skills to the mothers she supported. Committed to staying current and well-informed on the changing landscape of maternity care, she has pursued training through Lamaze, Evidence-Based Birth, Spinning Babies, DONA International. Rhona is an incredible resource, and will have thoughtful and compassionate responses to your questions.
With her background as a massage therapist and infant massage instructor, Rhona has many physical and hands-on tools for comfort measures in labor, postpartum recovery comfort, and bonding with the baby. She also loves to cook for and with families, sharing a passion for simple, nutritious and delicious meals.
The combination of her personal experiences of motherhood, grand-motherhood, and her professional work support Rhona’s warm, calming, and reassuring presence as a doula.
There is nothing as cool as watching a being coming into the world. I love this work – never dull or boring…It is about listening and knowing when to take over and when to step back. When to say something and when to be more compassionate and when to step back and let others step in. I am not the end-all or be-all. I am there to support and it is about mom, baby, and the family.
“She really cares. She is always training and getting better. Between her massage skillset, her nutrition, and all her birth knowledge, she knows when to step back and when to push a little bit.”
“I worked with Rhona prenatally and we talked a lot about what is going on with me and my baby. During the birth, she gave me lots of positions to try and massage. She is the very reason I didn’t get an epidural and I couldn’t have done it without her. She helped me make a massaging ball and helped my partner and godmother massage me during the whole birth. I had to be induced and didn’t know what to expect. I felt so confident having her there. She explained things, got me out of bed, and helped me create a birthing plan and talk to the doctor. Rhona was a godsend after the birth with all her knowledge.”
Training + Education
- Certified Birth Doula: DONA
- WisdomWay Institute First Year Specialist/Postpartum Doula training/certification
- Certified Infant Massage Instructor (CIMI): Liddle Kidz Foundation & International Loving Touch Foundation
- Pre and Perinatal Massage Therapy Certificate: Body Therapy Associates
- Certified Lactation Counselor
- Ounce of Prevention workshops
- Lamaze Childbirth Educator Program Training
- Bereavement Training in Perinatal Death: Resolve Through Sharing
- Dancing For Birth Instructor Training Workshop
- Infant CPR: American Heart Association, Basic Life Support Expires
- 10+ years of Doula Experience
- Massage Therapist (including Infant Massage!)
- Many, many trainings!
- Lactation Specialist
- National criminal background check completed with no adverse information
- Birthways Reference Checks: Completed five references with no adverse information and excellent feedback
- Covid vaccinated