Carly Ann Braun (she/her/hers)
Carly Ann has been a doula for five years and attending over 50 births. Before she was a doula she worked in social justice education with teenagers. She began feeling dissatisfied with just talking shop about injustice and doulaing was a way to work with people directly while practicing her values of feminism, empowerment, anti-racism, holistic healing, and community.
She worked as a peer support doula for families with Substance Abuse Disorder at PCC Wellness/West Suburban Hospital. She learned trauma informed care, harm reduction, advocacy and some serious doula skills. Over 2021 she took a year-long training for perinatal education. In 2022 she did a year of midwifery school to become a Certified Professional Midwife. She’s taking a break now but plans to return to school in 2024 and hopes to be a practicing midwife eventually!
Carly Ann lives in Albany Park and loves gardening, riding her bike, playing guitar and cooking. She grows more and more fascinated with the healing power of herbs every day. Her current project is planting herbs for the child- bearing year and making postpartum support infusions. Her biggest hobby is playing roller derby for the Windy City Rollers. She loves the community and that derby keeps her grounded and ready for births. Carly Ann identifies as bi-sexual and many of her derby friends are queer and/or have gone through fertility treatments, so families with those experiences are close to her heart.
Carly Ann’s intention with this work is to empower people to achieve their goals and have a fulfilling, powerful birth experience. She wants people to feel deeply supported and validated no matter how they birth.
In their own words:
I believe birth is a sacred process that calls for deeply compassionate care. I believe in trusting your body, and trusting yourself- no matter where or how you choose to have your baby. Your family’s needs and goals are my top priority.
What clients say:
“Carly Ann was wonderful and helped make our first birth a positive and em- powering experience. Her calm, clear-headed manner and dedicated, tireless spirit make her an ideal guide for birth”- Carla H
“Carly Ann is a god send: she showed up on time, texted to confirm and jumped right in-doing dishes, organizing, kid laundry, support w 3 yr old and baby. jumped in to do everything. She was so reliable and knew how to take care of it all! “ -Alexandra H
Training + Education
- DONA Childbirth Ed, Doula Training & Breastfeeding Course – October 2018
- Neonatal Resuscitation – Advanced – Feb- ruary 2023
- MMCI Certified Professional Midwife Stu- dent – Jan-Nov 2022
- Certified Lactation Specialist – July 2022
- Gender Affirming Birth Work training – April 2022
- BADT Racism and Privilege In Birth Work training – August 2021
- MMCI Maternal Child Health Specialist – October 2020-2021
- MMCI Perinatal Educator Training – De- cember 2019-January 2020
- Certified Peer Recovery Specialist Train- ing – 2019-2022
- Peer support doula
- Trauma informed care
- Harm reduction and advocacy
- Certified Professional Midwife
- National criminal background check completed with no adverse information
- Birthways Reference Checks: Completed references with no adverse information and excellent feedback